Although a relatively new development in the work force, drug testing can be very advantageous to a company when hiring new employees. Of course, in the trucking industry, drug and alcohol testing is mandatory and regulated by the Department of Transportation. Other companies and businesses, however, aren’t required to drug test individuals.
One benefit of drug testing future employees is that many states offer a reduction in worker’s compensation rates for employers who adhere to a Drug Free Workplace Policy. We know that this isn’t really applicable to the trucking industry, but it is still interesting to take a look at other industries and how drug testing affects them.
Some quick facts regarding those that use drugs and the effect they have on the workplace are as follows:
- Can cost employers up to $15,000 annually per employee
- Cost companies 300% more in medical costs and benefits
- Are absent up to 20 times more often
- Are 1/3 less productive
- Admitted to selling drugs to co-workers
- Admitted to stealing from employees
It has also been shown that businesses who employ a Drug Free Work Policy experience:
- Increased productivity
- Increased employee morale
- Safer work environment
- Reduction in Worker’s Compensation rates
- Reduction in health care rates
- Reduced turnover and absenteeism
Now that you know a little more about how drug testing benefits the employer, you may rethink policies at your place of work. Contact us today to learn more!